Artist and composer, Valérie Vivancos aka Ocean Viva Silver sailed the Anglo-Saxon artistic and musical undercurrents (Liverpool, Manchester, London, San Francisco, NYC) for 11 years before settling in Paris in 2002. Her practice revolves around composition, improvisation, performance scores, situations and writing protocols that interweave life and fiction and trigger 'curious' experiences. She studied Fine Arts in London and San Francisco (Chelsea, SFAI), English and Sociology in Paris (Sorbonne) and was taught sound arts and electroacoustic composition by David Ryan, Hayley Newman, Laetitia Sonami, Christian Zanesi and Robert Hampson.
She is co-founder of projects focused on experimental music/sound and art including the duo OttoannA and the Double Entendre editions (With Rodolphe Alexis) and often collaborates with other artists (Limpe Fuchs, Jos Smolders, Carl Stone...). She has worked with the GRM, Collectif MU, Fair_Play network among other music-related organisations. She also writes and translates poetic, literary, journalistic and theoretical texts (Pompidou Centre, Editions Mego, Ina-GRM, Robot Records, MU asso, Shelter Press, Revue & Corrigée, Editions JOU).
She has run sound/art workshops in Brazil, invited people to sleep in an underground bunker in Denmark, spatialised music in a Planetarium, on a boat sailing the Danube, Improvised a performance with sounding objects in Hong Kong, in a church in Auvergne, created soundtracks for answering machines, cctvs, binaural streams, dance, received commissions for art, electroacoustic and radio pieces, curated deliberately inclusive events.
Her work has been featured in international art centers (Palais de Tokyo, Gaîté Lyrique, Leroy Neiman Gallery, Overgaden gallery, ICA, Barbican Centre, Mudam, Parque das Ruinas, Black Box Theater HK, Musée Réatu...) ; music venues and festivals (Présences Électronique, Présences, Poitiers Planétarium, European Sound Delta, Futura, The Dark Outside, Nuit Blanche, Sonic Dreams, JRM, Le Mans Sonore, Ecotone Bxl, ...); dance and performance centers (CND, Le Silo, Mado Robin, Bertin Poirée, Micadanses, Ri.ves Valcivières), as well as radios (France Culture, France Musique, Rte Lyric, Phaune, Radia Network, Kunstradio, Resonnance FM, Jet FM, Panik, RTBF, Tesla FM, Station Essence, Station-Station, LYL Radio, πnode...) notably hosted by Thomas Baumgartner, Kassel Jaeger (François Bonnet), Kate Carr, Nastasia Hadjadji, Anne Montaron... She has received institutional awards, residencies and commissions (GRM, Radio France, France Musique, France Culture, Scam, Gulliver, RTBF, EMS, Harvestworks, SCRIME).
- 18 Nov 2022: OttoannA (with Rodolphe Alexis) geolocalised composition "The Day After the Society of the Spectacle" for SoundWays @ La Station Gare des Mines + Toronto
- Dec 2022: New record Ħal Saflieni released on Tsuku Boshi - Paris
- Dec 2022: Feature-length interview by Delphine Dora in Revue&Corrigée - Paris
- Dec 2022: Residency @ Le Lieu Multiple (EMS) with Kamilya Jubran & Soizic Lebrat - Poitiers
- 11 Dec 2022: Concert Terra Incognitae @ Le Lieu Multiple with Kamilya Jubran & Soizic Lebrat - Poitiers
- Jan 2023: Residency at GMEA with Limpe Fuchs - Albi
- March 2023: Inflamed Invisible, David Toop's latest collection of essays translated by Sophie Couronne (in collaboration with yours truly) - Editions Jou
- Spring 2023: Spectres IV - English to French translations - Shelter Press/GRM
- 27 April 2023: Concert with Limpe Fuchs - Oscillation Festival - Brussels
- July 2023: Residency with Limpe Fuchs - QO2 - Brussels
Ongoing - composition for dance:
- "Ubique" by choreographer Virginie Mielniezuck
- "Passage" by choreographer Keiko Abe